What is Data Hiding?
- Data Hiding is a very ancient art.
- Caesar cipher.
- Egyptians used symbolic language in their pyramids.
- Coded Language.
- Writing with invisible ink.
- With the dawn of the Digital World, now just the
- Methods have changed, but the aim is still the same.
What is Data Hiding ? Cont.
In Modern Times, Data Hiding is associated with digital forms such as cryptography, steganography, and watermarking.
- Cryptography is obscuring the content of the message, but not the communication of the message.
- Steganography, which is greek for “covered writing”, is hiding the very communication of the message.
- Watermarking attempts to add sufficient metadata to a message to establish ownership, provenance, source, etc
But, it is much more than that.
Reasons Behind Hiding Data
- Personal, Private Data.
- Sensitive Data.
- Confidential Data, Trade Secrets.
- To avoid Misuse of Data.
- Unintentional damage to data, human error, accidental deletion.
- Monetary, Blackmail Purposes.
- Hide Traces of a crime.
- For Fun.
- Basic Logical Techniques used to hide Data in Microsoft Windows XP.
- Thinking out of the box, using applications for things other than their intended use.
- Data hiding using internal concept of Microsoft Windows XP.
- A dive into the File System of Microsoft Windows XP,i.e. NTFS.
- The Usual right click and hide; the hidden attribute.
- Assign the file a system attributes.
- Rename it as a system file and paste it in the windows directory.
- Most often used by Malware
- Change of extension.
- Change of Icon.
- Rename as “null”.